- Cleaning is an essential part of disinfection. Organic matter can inactivate many disinfectants. Cleaning reduces the soil load, allowing the disinfectant to work.
- Removal of germs such as the virus that causes COVID-19 requires thorough cleaning followed by disinfection.
- The length of time that SARS-COV-2 (the cause of COVID-19) survives on inanimate surfaces will vary depending on factors such as the amount of contaminated body fluid – such as respiratory droplets – present and environmental temperature and humidity. In general, coronaviruses are unlikely to survive for long once droplets produced by coughing or sneezing dry out.
It is good practice to routinely clean surfaces as follows:
- Clean frequently touched surfaces with detergent solution (see diagram below).
- Clean general surfaces and fittings when visibly soiled and immediately after any spillage.
Information credit: Department of Health, Australian Government